Friday, November 9, 2012

BOOK 1 -17-8


That whenever I wanted to help someone or some other need I was told that there was no source of affordable money: and that I myself never fell into similar want of financial assistance form another. That my wife is as she is, so submissive, loving, and unaffected: and that I found no lack of suitable tutors for my children.

That I was given help through dreams, especially how to avoid spitting blood and bouts of dizziness: and the response of the oracle at Caieta, 'just as you use yourself'. That, for all my love of philosophy, I did not fall in with any sophist, or devote my time to the analysis of literature or logic, or busy myself with cosmic speculation. All these things need 'the help of gods and Fortunes's favour.

No comments:

Post a Comment