Sunday, January 26, 2014

BOOK 9 -40-2


But you might say: 'The gods have put these things in my own power.' Is it not better to use your own power in freedom rather than show a servile and supine concern for what you cannot control? And who told you that the gods do not help us even to the ends which lie within your own power ? At any rate, pray abut these things, and you will see. One man prays: 'How can I sleep with that woman?' Your prayer is: 'How can I lose the desire to sleep with her?' Another prays: 'How can I be rid of that man?'  You pray: How can I stop wanting to be rid of him? Another: 'how can I save my little child?' You: 'How can I learn not to fear his loss?' And so on. Give all your prayers this turn, and observe what happens.              

No comments:

Post a Comment